Halfway through this conference and pleased to hear that we in Scotland are actually doing pretty well in the domain of innovative on-line assessment and in who we have chosen to work with as technical partners. Many of our testing and development partners are here.
I am writing this for those who don't know the commercial side of the computer based assessment industry. This is big multi-national business spanning the organisations that provide pychometric and selection tests to industry , those who provide specialist regulatory tests for different industries ( SQA is included here) to those who work in mainstream education providing the testing systems that support national awarding in the school, college or vocational learning space. ( we feature here too)
It is all here for a price - from the vast aircraft simulation assessments for pilots and ground crew, to the professional tests for global professional associations, to those who offer selection tests for lots of different kinds of employment or for national driving tests and for .. the list goes on...
Tests can be built , beta tested for valididty and realibility and delivered through the medium of the customer's choice to a testing centre for high stakes tests or even out to mobile devices as authentication and on-line proctoring systems develop.
The main changes in the market globally
- Main move is towards more immersive assessments using virtual worlds or augmented reality - but they are very expensive to develop but allows increasingly authentic assessment this stretches out to serious gaming.
- Greater regulation CPD and mandated testing in growing number of occupational areas around world.
- Moves to mobile and Wi-Fi based testing you can now have mobile test centres using i-pads and other devices.
- Video Proctoring - allowing candidates to take assessments where ever they wish to tackle these.
- Costs of hardware going down for equipping test centres from about £6oo to £300.
- Massive opportunities in places like India and China where the delivery device of choice will be mobile phones.
Post a Comment