- Schools - dealing with Curriculum for Excellence, New Inspection Framework and roll out of GLOW
- Colleges - new Inspection Framework, national certificate developments, impact of recession and Curriculum for Excellence, emergence of Scotland's Colleges as a support agency.
- Workplace - UK Vocational Reform Programme and impact on Scotland, impact of recession, emergence of Skills Development Scotland as policy and support agency.
- Community Based - struggling with funding cutbacks at all levels and looking for new models of support
- University - perhaps not enough change but deep anxieties around funding.
Some of these challenges are not new - but there are increasingly useful internal and external developments that can drive change.